Love is not what I thought it was. Its more incredible than I ever imagined.
The mission is to be God’s unconditional love to the world through patience, kindness, unselfishness, mercy, and forgiveness. A kind of love we so rarely see or experience in this world but that is made perfect and shown to us on the cross. A love that constantly and faithfully gives, never holding back, and never expecting anything in return. Too often we hear the world say that if they don’t treat you the way you think you deserve to be treated – leave – throw them away – break all ties – don’t forgive unless you feel like it – and move on with your life. But God says something different. God says – love – stay by their side – show them unconditional love – forgive always even when its not asked for – and always remain faithful.
This blog outlines the things I continue to learn about love each week as I grow deeper in my understanding of what it means to love, especially how God calls us to love in marriage.
“Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it odes not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13: 4-8)
“Love is an unconditional commitment to an imperfect person. To love somebody isn’t just a strong feeling. It’s a decision, a judgement, and a promise.”
“A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.”
It all starts at the foot of the cross – the source of love.
- The Potter’s Hands - As I look on my life, I see the way the potter’s hands have shaped and molded me to be who I am today. I see the gentle way those hands guide me to form me. I see the times when the hands put slight pressure on me and times when they relaxed to let […]
- A touch of prayer - Let me hold you in my heart today. Let me lift you up in prayer for a moment. Let me unite myself to you in this prayer for you that you may in this moment have comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Let this prayer touch your soul. I can feel the connection […]
- The Eye of Betrayal - Betrayal – possibly one of the most difficult feelings to experience. We all know the feeling and hope it isn’t the ones closest to us that make us feel betrayed as those can cut the deepest. It’s a loss of trust, an unfulfillment of expectations, a deep pain. Sometimes it can feel inescapable. Trying to […]
- Hope - I love this time of year. For a brief few weeks we allow ourselves to be children again – to have a sense of awe, wonder, and hope. For most of the year big hopes are so easily shot down as “false hope,” as if there could ever be such a thing. We get so […]
- You Deserve…. - I read and hear a lot of people talk about what “you deserve” in a relationship. When these things are said, it is implied that if your spouse is not doing these things for you currently, it must not be real or the relationship should be questioned and possibly ended. I disagree. You deserve to […]